10 Ways To Treat Your Baby’s Teething Pain And Discomfort
Many concerned parents want to know how to help their babies through this inevitable process of growing teeth. Teething is the normal stage of the child’s life referring to the growth of milk teeth which usually come in pairs.
When they start penetrating the gums the process becomes painful causing discomfort for the most of the babies between 6 and 8 months of age and continues to the second year.
Many of the babies experience the following common symptom like: excessive dribbling, crying, red cheeks, swollen gums, fussiness, biting things, diarrhea, earache and of course difficulty sleeping. Some babies even refuse breastfeed and food.
Parents are feeling helpless because they don’t know how to deal with such situation and ease the discomfort of their babies. But don’t be devastated, there are many home made remedies and simple techniques which can soothe the pain to your babies.
Here is a list of the 10 most effective strategies:
1. Cold Carrot, apple, cucumber or celery
This is a good option if your baby has already started to consume solid food. In this case biting carrot can help relief the pain in gums plus the carrot juice is very healthy!
– Peel and wash a large and thick carrot and cool it for 15 minutes in the fridge. Mind not to freeze the carrot because the frozen piece can damage the gums! Give the chilled carrot to your baby but always keep him/her on eye in case biting off a bigger piece that can cause choking.
Note: You can do the same with piece of apple, celery stalk or cucumber.
2. Gums massage
Gently massage the sore gums with your finger and of course make it sure it is clean. It is safer to wrap sterilized gauze around your forefinger and with little pressure massage the baby’s gum. Be careful not to bitten though.
Your baby will calm down if also gently massage his/her jaw with circular movements.
3. Veggie popsicles
Extract some juice from beetroots and carrots and put it in Popsicle molds. Freeze it and when it is ready give it to your little loved one. This popsicles are not just beneficial for the irritated gums but they are also healthy with anti -inflammatory characteristics and ability to boost child’s metabolism.
4. Chamomile tea and massage oil.
This herb is recommended for kids after the first year. It is used for calming the upset belly and relieving discomfort in the gums.
– In a cup of hot water mix one teaspoon of dried chamomile and leave it for 10 minutes. After this strain it and give it to your kid every hour by one teaspoon.
– You can also try to mix 1 table spoon of olive oil with couple of drops chamomile essential oil. With this mixture you can massage the jaw and behind ears area to ease the pain of your child. Do this treatment 3 times a day.
5. Foot reflexology
This technique, by pressing certain points of the babies foot can quickly relief the teething pain and help them sleep well, plus babies love this!
– Warm some oil with your hands and start gently massaging baby’s foot on the top, moving at the bottom of the toes and finishing with whole little cute chubby foot. 5 minutes will be enough for this massage.
6. Apple puree
Apple is a first food after milk that most of the babies try for the first time. It is very beneficial for teething and formation of stool. It contains pectin which stops diarrhea.
– Wash a middle sized apple and chose sweeter one. Pill the skin and chop it on small pieces. Cover the apple with little water and boil it until it becomes soft. Blend the apple until you get a puree and cool it in the fridge. Chilled applesauce will soothe your baby discomfort, regulate stool and make him/her full.
7. Arrowroot allergen free cookie
These cookies are hard enough for your baby to chew longer without breaking a piece. They can calm the pain in their stomach and soothe the gum’s discomfort.
8. Homemade clove oil
You can make your own clove oil at home and help your baby relieve the teething pain. This oil has analgesic characteristics and dilute it before using on babies’ gums.
– In a sauce pan mix 1 table spoon of coconut, 1 table spoon of extra virgin olive oil, 1 table spoon of dry chamomile and 1 tablespoon of cloves. Heat the mixture for 10 minutes and then strain it. Let it cool down and then with your clean finger massage the gums.
9. Commercial Teethers
Chilled teether which can be easily held by your baby is also a good option. Chose one that doesn’t contain any toxic ingredient like Polyvinyl chloride or Bisphenol A. Biting a teether can relieve the pain in gums and alleviate the discomfort.
If you are breastfeeding your baby, let it stay longer or more often on your breasts because by sucking process him/her feel relief in their gums.