According To Science: Women Need More Sleep Than Men. Here’s Why
Professor Jim Horne is a director of Sleep Research Centre by the University of Loughborough and the writer of the book A Journey through the Science of Sleep. He explains that the sleeping is extremely important for all human beings.
But based on the latest studies, he suggests that women should sleep more than men because they have more complex brains. While sleeping the brain repairs and recovers itself.
During the deep sleep the brain which is in charge for the language, thought memory and other goes to recovery mode. If there is a sleep disruption, than it is directly connected with high level of stress and feeling of depression, anger and hostility at women. This poor quality sleep consequences are not connected with men.
If the brain is exposed to more effort during the day, it will need more time to recover. Women are more multitasking and flexible and they use their brain more than men so consequently they need more time or more sleep to rest their brains.
Women need more sleep even than men who are doing a complex job and make many important decisions. The average sleep of women is about 20 minutes and up more than men because woman brain is differently wired than man’s brain. So, women should sleep more than 8 hours a day in order to have a completely recovered brain.
But what happens with men who do hard jobs that involve making of decisions? These men need more sleep than average men but less than average women. However, you need to get a good night sleep in order to function through the day.
Here are some tips to improve your sleep quality
– Avoid food that stimulates insomnia. Do not consume caffeine, cacao, chocolate or sugar in the evening.
– Go to bed every night at same time and set a routine so the brain can recognize it and prepare for relaxation.
– 1-3 mg of melatonin before going to bed can significantly improve your night sleep.
– Yoga is another suggestion that will prepare your body for a rest.
– Meditation is great for women because their brain work all the time.
– With meditation the brain can achieve a state of deep relaxation.